Music Banter - View Single Post - Any Pagans here?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2022, 01:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
Ayn Marx
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
what God(s) is it you believe in specifically and why?

A lot of the new age and pagan and mystic type **** might not be as judgmental as the abrahamic faiths but it just feels a lot like a choose your own adventure type approach to religion lol. Just pick your favorite God the same way you would pick your favorite super hero and go with that.
The majority of our species have had no freedom in choosing their religion. As that nasty Jesuit saying has it “Give us the child till they’re six and we’ve got them for life.” There are other evil traditions many religious bodies adhere to. Stray from the so called one true path and we’ll stone you to death, burn you alive, torture you till you confess your evil ways etc. Today’s ‘enlightened' Christians claim to have left all that behind. However give them enough political power, as in the US today, and watch what happens to so called sinners.

Underneath all of this human nature is at work. That is, our species is prone to ‘groupthink’ even outside of religious dogma. For instance, followers of Ayn Rand and Marx can act and groupthink like true believers of the religious kind. Until and unless this aspect of group behaviour is confronted and eliminated our species time on planet earth will soon be over. Some of you here may be sick of me recommending this tome but I’m going to do it again. A reading of Arthur Koestler’s ’The Ghost in The Machine’ focuses on this problem. I’ve yet to encounter an honest refutation of his central thesis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_in_the_Machine

Last edited by Ayn Marx; 07-19-2022 at 01:29 AM.
Ayn Marx is offline   Reply With Quote