Music Banter - View Single Post - The Shoulders of Giants: Trollheart's History of Classical Music
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2022, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayn Marx View Post
I really appreciate what you’re attempting to achieve here but suggest when it comes to convincing the unconverted as to the joys of classical music mere words have little hope of doing so. The most effective method I’ve discovered is to take the ‘innocent’ to a live classical concert, preferably of a large scale orchestral work.
Agreed. I went to one only, took my aunt (think she was in her late eighties at the time). One of those "great pieces of classical music" deals. They finished up with a rendition of the 1812 Overture, even had a real cannon on stage! Imagine the surprise when someone's head got blown off! Not really. Some experience though: we both loved it.

Quote:

Anyhow, I admire what you’re attempting here.
Thanks
Quote:
You say "If music be the food of love, let’s get stuck in; hope you brought your appetite, because there’s one hell of a banquet waiting!” How are you going to prevent your readers getting indigestion ?
By providing bite-sized points of entry instead of trying to stuff it all down their throats at once.

To be fair, getting into some of the theory it does get boring, but that kind of stuff is necessary. I therefore understand there will be those who will not be interested in this, but hey ho. I will also be employing my usual irreverent humour, so there is that too.