Music Banter - View Single Post - Joe Biden Love Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2022, 07:40 AM   #261 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

The whole DeSantis thing honestly seems like an astroturfing campaign to me. The media would rather have DeSantis be the R nominee over Trump and they're presenting it like this is the sentiment of a large number of joe sixpack R voters. But have you met R voters in real life lately? I've met quite a few and have yet to meet one that has the sentiment that it's time to ditch Trump for DeSantis. Hell, certain places you go, you'll still see Trump lawn signs and flags.

I don't know who's noticed, but quite a few big papers/publications are now starting to openly criticize Biden in regards to his age. It seems like a convenient time to do so, to set the groundwork if the Dems get clobbered in the midterms. If that happens, and it seems likely that it will, they can continue with the age criticism and apply it not only to Biden, but to Trump, Bernie, and Elizabeth Warren (if the latter two decided to run again).

For better or worse, it's Trump's party now. If he decides to run, DeSantis doesn't have a chance in my opinion. I think DeSantis knows this, and he won't run if Trump announces officially - in one of Trump's latest interviews, he made it sound like he's already made the decision to run, but hasn't decided when to announce (before or after the midterms).

Obviously if Trump ran, his candidacy would bring out a lot more D voters to vote against him. At the same time, he'd probably bring out more R voters to vote for him. It's just a guess, but if DeSantis ran, I'd expect lower turnout from both parties in the general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Boo View Post
Trump supporters worship DeSantis, he's the only one who has a shot of beating Trump.

The Republican establishment will never openly condemn Trump, they tried it before and it didn't work, but they know he's not gonna win again and even if he does the baggage with him right now is too much. They want a clean slate without alienating Trump voters and DeSantis is their best bet. I wouldn't put it past them to get on their hands and knees and beg Trump not to run.
This is true I suppose. It seems like it's all up to Trump at this point. If he wants to run, I think he'll be the nominee. If he does some backroom dealings and decides to bow out and give DeSantis his blessing for the nomination, Trump supporters would get behind him in droves.

I just can't see the latter happening though, can you? I mean, Trump's so vindictive, and the fact that he believes the 2020 election was stolen from him has given him an ego-fuelled grudge. I just don't think he's capable of letting it go and stepping aside instead of running again to get his 'revenge'.

Another wildcard is if Biden decides not to seek re-election, who will be the Dem nominee? I'm kinda thinking it will be Gavin Newsom. I've heard media outlets start to openly say that it's time for another run with Hillary, but yikes, I mean, that seems like a dangerous proposition.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign...llary-clinton/

Last edited by SGR; 07-22-2022 at 07:51 AM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote