Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do hipsters love analog?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2022, 05:39 PM   #71 (permalink)
Ayn Marx
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
About mixing high frequencies, something which has gotten big in mixing the last few years is AI-based EQing. Most people's kneejerk reactions to that will be negative (and even more so with people with hard earned experience with music production), but playing the devil's advocate, I'd say a lot of people who work with music have damaged hearing and a second set of (AI) ears can be good. It will of course work to homogenize the sound of music further in the future (which is kinda boring).

Since it's been around in the production world for a few years now, I assume it may exist in the world of music consumption too, though I haven't been paying attention to it there.
Somebody has to write the code for AI-based EQing. It would be interesting to read the results of their clinical hearing tests. Interestingly no hi-fi (remember that )? audio reviewers ever publish results of theirs. It’s been suggested to me, by a high-end audio salesperson, that ultra expensive moving coil cartridges have a response curve tilted up in the high frequencies to compensate for treble hearing insensitivity in those rich old customers who can afford them - analogue hearing aids ?.

Last edited by Ayn Marx; 07-25-2022 at 06:40 PM.
Ayn Marx is offline   Reply With Quote