Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2022, 09:52 AM   #17785 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetiver View Post
Hey, I'm not speaking for myself - I'm sure there were many Manic Street Preacher fans who felt the same way during the Everything Must Go era.

For me, it's the bandwagon jumpers or those who were too lazy to look outside of the top 40 until the artist/band became more successful.

As for the last part of your post, I never said that, so please stop putting words in my mouth.
To be fair, you didn't say you stopped listening to them, but you did say you tried to 'distance' yourself from them, as if acknowledging publicly that you love (or loved) Radiohead would sully your image after they became popular. As if anyone really cares when you started listening to them or how underground your tastes in music are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetiver View Post
Radiohead confessions:
When OK Computer achieved so much critical and commercial success, I tried to distance myself from the band as much as possible. After purchasing the band's debut EP the month it was released, I felt it was woefully clichéd to mention Radiohead as a favourite band to others (and still do).
I've never met Manics fans who felt that way, at least not nowadays and I used to frequent forums of the group. I think most of their fans were just happy they decided to continue after losing Richey. Besides, their sound changed pretty drastically from Generation Terrorists to The Holy Bible. They went from sounding like Guns N Roses lite glam rock to dark grungy post punk. Everything Must Go just continued the change of their sound to something more brit pop in flavor.

Besides, why does it matter if people are 'bandwagon jumpers' or only listen to Top 40 radio? If people like that, and that's how they enjoy music, what's wrong with that? Not everyone who listens to music is going to become an obsessive crate digger, looking for hidden gems that don't get airplay and to characterize them as lazy or lesser than just seems unnecessary, and again, elitist.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote