Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2022, 10:07 AM   #17786 (permalink)
Vetiver
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGR View Post
To be fair, you didn't say you stopped listening to them, but you did say you tried to 'distance' yourself from them, as if acknowledging publicly that you love (or loved) Radiohead would sully your image after they became popular. As if anyone really cares when you started listening to them or how underground your tastes in music are.

I've never met Manics fans who felt that way, at least not nowadays and I used to frequent forums of the group. I think most of their fans were just happy they decided to continue after losing Richey. Besides, their sound changed pretty drastically from Generation Terrorists to The Holy Bible. They went from sounding like Guns N Roses lite glam rock to dark grungy post punk. Everything Must Go just continued the change of their sound to something more brit pop in flavor.

Besides, why does it matter if people are 'bandwagon jumpers' or only listen to Top 40 radio? If people like that, and that's how they enjoy music, what's wrong with that? Not everyone who listens to music is going to become an obsessive crate digger, looking for hidden gems that don't get airplay and to characterize them as lazy or lesser than just seems unnecessary, and again, elitist.
I tried to distance myself from them solely due to the fact that mentioning how much one liked the band had now become a cliché. That’s all. In another thread, I have stated that I prefer The Bends to OK Computer. For people to start jumping onto the bandwagon, especially upon the release of (IMHO) an inferior album was additionally annoying.

That’s what I heard about the Manics, so we possibly referred to different sources.

What annoys me about such people? Their inherent laziness and unwillingness to discover art for themselves (I’ve always considered such a quest to be part of one’s spirituality), their belief that anything that isn’t popular or mainstream isn’t good enough, and the fact that they come across as indoctrinated tools.

“Little people in little houses, like maggots, small, blind and worthless…”
Vetiver is offline   Reply With Quote