Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2022, 10:32 AM   #17791 (permalink)
Vetiver
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGR View Post
Maybe people just approach and listen to music differently than you. And maybe that's okay? I don't think the people you're talking about have some weird belief that: "If it's not on the radio and it's not popular, then it's obviously not good and I only listen to good music!" - I think what's more likely is that they turn on the top 40 radio, they get to hear some catchy hooks and some polished earworms, and it makes them happy and/or they enjoy it. Isn't that the whole point of music? Indoctrinated? Come on, now.

Besides, most young people use streaming services and Youtube which has democratized how most people listen to and discover new music. They may start with a popular song they like, and the algorithm does the work in recommending them other songs, often times less popular, that they might also enjoy.
I’m afraid you have too much faith in the human race, because I’ve come across plenty of people who adopt whatever’s popular at the time.

As for your final paragraph, that’s a good point but and exploring music has become much easier. However, I was referring more to the period before internet streaming. As for the internet itself, it has its own downsides.
Vetiver is offline   Reply With Quote