Music Banter - View Single Post - Russia, Ukraine and World War III
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2022, 09:38 PM   #454 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_collector View Post
Yeah, that makes sense. Biden campaigned on a "buy/produce local" type mandate, didn't he?
Sort of, he did mention it before being elected and there has been movement on it. I don't remember it being a big part of his campaign promises, but I could be wrong. Here's more on the latest on that, it's all basically refinements and/or additions to Hoover's 1933 "Buy American Act" - there's a lot of caveats and exceptions though.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...e-all-product/

Perspective from an American: I'm all on board with this, but I wouldn't want it taken to an extreme. The reason so many US consumer goods are cheap is because we can import them for a much lower cost than we can manufacture them domestically. But certain essential goods, like medicine and microchips need to have a strong domestic production base, because if they don't, then you find yourself in a difficult situation when the supply chain is completely disrupted by something unexpected like the pandemic. We saw that, for example, with medicines during the pandemic. The vast majority of the US's pharmaceutical imports are sourced from China. There was a lot of talk of decoupling from China during the pandemic - again, it would be unwise to do so to an extreme, but bolstering our domestic production base for some of these products seems like a prudent thing to do.

Last edited by SGR; 08-02-2022 at 09:47 PM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote