Music Banter - View Single Post - Punk and Metal political differences
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Carpe Mortem
Crusher of tiny Nords

I agree. Without getting political, and admitting that I don't associate with as many people anymore - every punk fan I've known has been anarchist or major leftist leaning. They also all had some sort of major malfunction which would necessitate dependence on the state eventually, or a yearning to have someone else pay for and take care of them. Naturally, if they can't acquire their own wealth and believe the acquisition of wealth is somehow bad - they would expect to use somebody else's until that utopia finally gets built. Or pool their resources together, because that's how humans should live.

Meanwhile most of the metalheads I know seem to lean libertarian or republican. Could be because I tend towards metal genres that have more people of a higher age demographic though - 'boomers'. And people tend to lean more right wing as they get older or become more successful in life, especially if they had zero handouts or assistance getting there. They want to protect what they've worked so hard for and care less for changing the world.

There's obvious friction between these two viewpoints. I guess it's obvious where I fall and I apologize to all the loser punks that I view you that way. No, you can't borrow any money.

There's always exceptions, of course. But you're right, many subgenres at least tend to attract people of similar political viewpoints.

Be Loving & Open With
My Emotions

Last edited by Carpe Mortem; 08-11-2022 at 07:19 PM. Reason: cleaner
Carpe Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote