Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2022, 01:07 AM   #23671 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb
[...] it's not at all clear to me what the best course of action is or even whether any goal to save the country should include this idea of saving the current system of democracy.
Side note, but.

A big problem which is universal, but that I guess the US was particularly vulnerable to, is ofc the problem that a lot of people don't know what's real. Like in the discussions about selfishness, that itself creates an environment where people like Trump can weaponize lies in order to gain power. If more people had integrated some critical thinking skills in the way they use their brains daily, that might not have happened. His win wasn't huge, it might've tipped the votes. We'd all be less vulnerable to other nations' manipulations, like how Russia pumps out disinformation from their lies-factories. A usual pathology of these lies is to separate people into uses and thems and so destabilize and undermine nations and people's well-being.

So I don't know much about short term solutions in the US (though I do hope you get Trump for the dangerous criminal he is), but I do feel that if we want functional democracies in the future, then it is necessary that more people learn to separate fact from fiction. It'll promote policies and legislation based on reality and not how much adrenochrome the other politicians suck out of babies. Living in the same reality will help people unite instead of seeing eachother as problems or enemies.

So more / better quality schooling, teaching critical thinking philosophy and skills, anything that would help to counter the influence of religious / conspiracy thinking like regulating what social media companies are allowed to. Disinformation spreading on the internet also needs to be tamed.

Last edited by Guybrush; 08-12-2022 at 01:13 AM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote