Music Banter - View Single Post - Punk and Metal political differences
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2022, 11:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
I don't care much for politics myself because there's so many idiots and tediousness involved.

We have a lot of different parties here, so when there are elections, I just go through the usual survey where I am asked how I feel about political issues. That survey tells me which party has the largest coverage of my political interests, so I don't have to go through the bother of finding out myself. Then I just vote for that party.

Party affiliations / loyalty undermines democracy anyways, so this works well for me. I end up somewhere on the left in this spectrum which, by american standards, probably means I'm more or less a communist.

I occasionally and intentionally listen to both punk and metal, but not as much as I listen to jazz.
In the u.s. a lot of these surveys are distributed by the parties themselves where the results are rigged to show them as the beat representative no matter the answers. Do you account for that or do yall have some cool survey distribution system out there where it's not an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
I don't think that's true. Take this stanza from Dragonforce

The chants inscribed on the ancient walls
[the tickertape of the Wall Street crawlers]
The screams of the past echo in the halls
[The 2008 financial meltdown]
Now the wizards arise from their watchtower in the sky
[The G7]

Metal is very political, I just think it's more subtle. When power metal talks about slaying the dragon, I think that's a metaphor for the consumer price index being too high.
It's probably based on the Ho Chi Minh quote ("when the prison doors are opened, the real dragon will fly out"), they're clearly advocating for capital punishment.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote