Music Banter - View Single Post - A Question for Fellow Writers About Book Publishing
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2022, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Here's one response; don't know how helpful it will be.

Here's my one cent. If he goes with a professional publisher, he's got to get past two gate keepers. First, can they make money off him? In other words, will a bunch of folks (in their opinion) want to read this? Second, can an editor work with him? Unless he happens to be famous, the publisher and not him will be calling the shots as to length and content. Most, I suspect, will work with him, but only up to the point where it simply is not worth their time and effort. He's got to be a team player, so he might not get the cover he wants among other things.

Putting anything out on the 'net before making sure it is your best is not a great idea. Short of being a proclaimed writing prodigy, you will need an editor. He might consider this advice if he's not engaged some professional assistance and pull the book now in order not to tarnish either it or his name.

I get the feeling he's going to self publish in order to be satisfied. So why not split his opus up into several books to deal with the size issue?