Music Banter - View Single Post - Metallica VS. Iron Maiden (Preference)
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #174 (permalink)
swim
dontcareaboutyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
True, but good writing and aranging does not = good bass playing.

Burton was very good, but him being a good writer and aranger does improve his ability to play bass, similar logic would be like saying that Roger Waters is a better bassist Tony Levin... I think looking at it objectively Burton isn't as good as some can make him out to be, and we can't forget that Flea plays a big part in RHCP's songwriting, and Claypool writes most of his stuff.

It's pretty close.
As far as basslines go, flea and claypool have burton beat everytime. Metallica is not a bass band. Neither are too many metal bands (implying whatever bands that you know are bass driven bands don't make up the majority, I know there probably are bass driven metal bands). But, in my opinion I think has just as much effect on the songs he writes as Flea and Claypool. Look at Kill 'em All's bass just from a rhythmic point of view, it's god damn awesome. I think that Burton is just as good of a bassist as Flea and Claypool because just like them he can take a song and make way better than most people would think it to be.