Music Banter - View Single Post - Joe Biden Love Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2022, 06:58 PM   #420 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

... i think the intuition you actually are drawing on here is that you don't think self employed plumbers are capitalist regardless of whether they take out a loan. If the person you are describing uses their own money to start their one man plumbing business you would still not call them a capitalist. The loan part is literally just a red herring to introduce an element of exploitation. Since you know they aren't actually being exploited for their labor by an employer, you are bringing up the interest they pay to a bank to make them sound more sympathetic. But that's irrelevant to their distinction as a business owner.

Also I would say yes I wouldn't be surprised if both Trump and Bezos have put some type of labor into their respective companies. I know for a fact that people like Zuckerberg and Bill gates did. That doesn't make them any less of a capitalist either.

All of these excuses you are making for the plumber can also apply to a titan of industry. The actual difference between the small business owner and the large business owner is largely how successful they have been in their ambitions.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote