Music Banter - View Single Post - Joe Biden Love Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2022, 11:53 PM   #425 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
I'm not saying that at all. I don't believe just anyone can do it. First of all not everyone is equally capable. So it's not at all surprising that the most extreme forms of success are rare and hard to come by. Second, obviously there's plenty of luck and circumstances that go into it. And obviously coming from money is a huge leg up but not a requirement. That doesn't mean everyone can do it. That just means that some people will manage to amass giant fortunes despite not having come from the most wealthy family.

My point was really that the actual crucial difference is in fact in the performance of their business, not their background. I know that your ideology requires that you paint it as if social mobility doesn't happen and it's simply a matter of wealth begets more wealth but the fact is, however rich you think Zuckerbergs parents were, they were pretty much working class in comparison to what he became. You could easily have such an upbringing and just become a run of the mill small to moderately sized business owner. And most business owners set up shop with dreams of making as much money as they can, is mostly what I was saying. It's not an actual moral high ground, at best it's the moral luck of just not being as successful thus not as culpable in the evil capitalist blah blah blah
Alright I realize that you're not saying that coming from money is a non-issue to accumulating vast amounts of wealth but what I'm saying is not that being from the 0.01% of the upper crust guarantees a chokehold on wealth creation but that having pre-existing wealth allows a level of capital seed money that a cobbler or general store owner can't make use of to capitalize on whatever frontier of wealth generation that requires large amounts of capital, be it investing in diamond mines in Africa or financing the creation of a vast delivery system for getting people books or di1does across the country within two days. Like, your dad might be able buy a restaurant but he will never be able to build a diamond mine.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote