Music Banter - View Single Post - Joe Biden Love Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2022, 12:17 AM   #426 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Alright I realize that you're not saying that coming from money is a non-issue to accumulating vast amounts of wealth but what I'm saying is not that being from the 0.01% of the upper crust guarantees a chokehold on wealth creation but that having pre-existing wealth allows a level of capital seed money that a cobbler or general store owner can't make use of to capitalize on whatever frontier of wealth generation that requires large amounts of capital, be it investing in diamond mines in Africa or financing the creation of a vast delivery system for getting people books or di1does across the country within two days. Like, your dad might be able buy a restaurant but he will never be able to build a diamond mine.
so if I understand your point about seed money there are in fact other avenues to get it potentially if you have a business model that you expect to make a lot of money. A lot of these start ups rely on various types of investors.

Honestly the kind of money that someone like Zuckerberg or Bill gates goes on to amass is so absurd that it's virtually guaranteed for any given person that's probably not going to happen for you. Like you mentioned Zuckerberg went to Harvard as did Gates. As prestigious as that does sound, the median income for a Harvard undergrad is only like 80k. The trajectory that guys like Zuckerberg were on at that age was far from typical even among the most privileged trust fund group of people.

Didn't the owner of Walmart start as a single general store? There's your dad's restatement example right there. It could be the start of a retail empire or it could be just a quaint local fixture. Obviously the latter is vastly more likely. Which gets back to my original statement that the actual difference between the two is in fact just their level of success.

Last edited by jwb; 09-11-2022 at 12:29 AM.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote