Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2022, 05:41 PM   #517 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Thanks for doing the rating average for Morphine, SGR. I've had a busy week, some computer probs and then all that time spent shopping for a Trollheart voodoo doll.....

TBH, I was also a bit dis-animated by the Field Music album; I expect interesting things from Marie's recs because they're frequently worth following up. This time, though, I found it a struggle to get through the album at all. To begin with, the band's fundamental decisions about their sound seem to be the opposite of what I like: Field Music gives us consistently short songs, a bright and breezy sound, lots of vocals, and standard (afaik) band line up. I prefer longer gloomier stuff.

I can't really go song by song, but most of them seemed to jump around without actually going anywhere. Those are the twists and turns that Marie mentions: maybe an achievement of a kind, to keep the lisna off-balance, but imo they didn't offer much reward in return for the sacrifice they made: a good solid sound that you can get down with. I found the guy's singing kind reedy, weak and annoying, especially on In Context, and on the track A House Is Not A Home I felt that the band was finally admitting,"We have nothing heartfelt or sincere to offer, just a flippant kind of cleverness."

So, definitely not for me. I've never heard of Spoon, the comparison several of you make: I think the closest I have come to Field Music's sound is the band Misophone, who, if anything, are even more lightweight and annoying.
An apologetic 4/10 I'm afraid, Marie.

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 09-18-2022 at 06:41 AM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote