Music Banter - View Single Post - Tangerine Dream
Thread: Tangerine Dream
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2022, 08:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

INNERSPACEBOY'S INTRO TO TANGERINE DREAM Pt 1

I'll offer a bit of insight into tackling the vast Tangerine Dream oeuvre. MB is telling me the length of my write-up exceeds the maximum character limit for a post so I'll try to break these up into a few digestible segments.

Tangerine Dream are nearly unparalleled in their prolific electro-ambient output. And the sheer size of their catalog may seem daunting to a new listener. A chronological survey is the best approach here, to glean an understanding of their development and evolution from an organic to an electronic ensemble. One of the most accessible releases for this effort is Tangerine Dream - ...In the Beginning. The vinyl box set includes their earliest releases - Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri, Zeit, and Atem, and as a bonus includes the previously-unreleased twenty-seventh album, Green Desert.

I maintain a lossless digital archive of 298 Tangerine Dream releases, including the 178 studio albums, all official live releases, soundtracks, all official singles, remasters, and all solo projects of each member, as well as the 91-volumes of the Tangerine Tree series - over 301 hours of TD content.

A brief bit about Tangerine Tree and Tangerine Leaves -

Tangerine Dream – Beyond the Commercial Discography

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangerine_Tree:

Tangerine Tree was a fan project operating from 2002 through 2006 with the goal of collecting, preserving and distributing unreleased concerts and other audio material by the band Tangerine Dream. The creators of the Tangerine Tree project received permission from Tangerine Dream to release the collection on a strict non-profit basis. Several of the Tangerine Tree volumes have been used as the basis for official Tangerine Dream releases. The project collected just under 300 hours of material (291:39:26).

Material was collected from audience recordings, soundboard recordings, recordings of radio and TV transmissions and in some cases the purchase of studio masters. Only recordings of a high quality and a unique nature were considered for the core Tangerine Tree volumes. These recordings were professionally re-mastered and released on CD-R and accompanied by high quality artwork for the CD labels and case liners.

Tangerine Leaves releases were based on material that did not meet the quality standards of the Tangerine Tree or from concerts that were not considered notable among a series of concerts. If a better source was found, a Tangerine Leaves volume might have been deprecated and replaced by a Tangerine Tree volume. Starting from 1980, the music played during each of the shows in a single Tangerine Dream concert tour were very similar, so it was impractical to release many volumes of the Tangerine Tree with similar content.

For a complete track-by-track index of all Tangerine Tree and Tangerine Leaves volumes, visit https://www.voices-in-the-net.de/voicesr7.htm.

I've only opted for the 91 Tree volumes comprising over 145 hours of content so as to limit my library to the highest-quality audio selections available, which combined with the 206-disc extended commercial discography totals 298 discs, (301:41:00), of lossless and high-bitrate content complete with a set of artwork files for each volume.

291:39:26 (trees and leaves)
145:11:57 (trees)
146:27:23 (leaves)

Other worthwhile listens are described in the Tangerine Dream Guide by Sangmin Han, which I have in my archive but can't find anywhere on the web, so I'll include a transcript below.

To be continued…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote