Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2022, 03:28 PM   #174 (permalink)
Key

Default Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition - Video Game Month 2022 - Oct. 6th 2022

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
Developed by: Larian Studios

I've talked quite a bit, almost to death, about Divinity Original Sin II and how it brings RPG gameplay to a whole different realm while still managing to feel like its own. Divinity Original Sin is evidently the game that came before it and even if I hadn't known that there was a sequel to this game, I would honestly think this is one of the best RPG's I've ever played. However, I have definitely gotten more enjoyment out of Divinity Original Sin II for a variety of reasons, one of course being that I just feel the gameplay is a little bit more fleshed out than its predecessor, but I think that's to be expected. Typically you'd always want the sequel to outweigh its predecessor, and in this case it does. But not by much. If you were to put both games side by side, it'd take me some time to find any significant differences between the two that would alter how I feel about each one individually. Both phenomenal games with minor faults to each.

Now, I'm not going to sit here and just list out fault after fault because honestly, even for a game like this, there are very few things to say negatively about it, if at all. If anything, I definitely have not spent nearly as much time on this one as I have on its sequel. But, given that I have done close to 4 playthroughs on Divinity Original Sin II, I think it's time I revisit Divinity Original Sin, as iirc, I have only done one successful playthrough, and I don't even think I finished the final quest to finish the game. In fact, I know I haven't.

A few hours into my 2nd playthrough, and I'm actually finding more to like about this one than I had previously, which is really nice. Either I was just not focused or coming down from playing Divinity Original Sin II for many many hours, I don't think I gave Divinity Original Sin the time it needed to breath and really show its colors. For example, when I had played the first time, I had apparently skipped an entire dungeon section right at the beginning of the game that you'd only know about by choosing a specific set of dialogue choices. And I just so happened to choose it. Which in itself shows the depth of what conversation choices can do for your gameplay. Something I think Larian Studios is really good at. And of course, you have voice acting, which is top notch as well, to be honest. And that's not always the case. However, the lack of a narrator in this one as opposed to the second one is certainly missed. Though I can't be too hard on that given that the devs may have thought of its inclusion when making the second game.

With similar games like Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland and all those, it is nice when a game can still stick out due to not only its own individuality and creativity, but also brings longevity to both games given that one playthrough can and will be drastically different than the previous. And though it can take several upon several hours to beat even the first game, I'd say it's still worth sitting there and doing as much as you can. There is just content upon content upon content. And doing said content in a graphical setting such as this where everything feels its own and alive, makes the world even more rewarding to explore. And I have always loved games that take the exploration element and really fly with it to see what can be done.

And of course, you've got a lot of interesting characters and creatures that you will bump into and have conversations with. Which...again could really go any sort of way with the vast number of possibilities pertaining to the choices you make and the results of said choice. Maybe you'll piss someone off, maybe you'll just go with the flow. You have the choices.

Divinity Original Sin while not holding up as well as its sequel, is still a game that I believe should be played at least 2 to 3 times. Going through it once only gives you the surface of what the game has to offer. But it's your own want of exploration that will open the game up even more
Key is offline   Reply With Quote