Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2022, 04:03 PM   #175 (permalink)
Key

Default Grounded - Video Game Month 2022 - Oct 6th 2022

Grounded
Developed by: Obsidian Entertainment

When it comes to Grounded, I seem to have a love/dislike relationship with it. And I wouldn't even go as far to say that I dislike it, more-so that I think I'm just spent with open ended survival crafting type games. They're fun, they truly are, but I think I've played enough to the point that I just don't really want to put much time into them anymore. Especially considering the fact that we have so many other great games and genres to play. And even more-so, I kind of kick myself on this one given that I have always been a supporter of Obsidian Entertainment games, but I think I simply missed the mark on this one.

Now, even after all that, do I think Grounded is a good game? Do I think it's a great game? Yeah, in fact I have played many hours of it and enjoyed my time with it and really enjoy the aspect of being stuck in your backyard while also trying to traverse as a tiny little human. Takes me back to the first time I watched Honey, I Shrunk The Kids, and that is always a good time to remember. Great movie, great cast. So when I learned we had a game that brought a similar theme, I was stoked.

When I played the first time, I did the usual create a base and get things upgraded and build better bases etc etc. And though I have heard that the game does really open up, I found myself going through the same phases that I would if I were playing any other open world survival game. Just in a backyard where everything is humongous. Which...again is really great. But it just feels like another survival game that I simply don't have the time to get into.

On top of all that though, the game looks beautiful. The game runs well, and it's a hell of a lot of fun to get some friends and create a server to hold all the things you build. You can build swings that go from one side of the yard to the next, and things really do open up as you upgrade yourself and get better materials to build with. But, just know that it can take some time to get to that point. But, that's how these types of games work in the first play.

Ultimately, I am stoked for Obsidian for being able to not only start Grounded in early access, but to then have a full release of the game, it's awesome to see. I hope Obsidian can continue to make the game great for those that are spending time on it, because it really is a fun time. Would I recommend it? Yes, certainly.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote