Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2022, 04:26 PM   #176 (permalink)
Key

Default Chivalry II - Video Game Month 2022 - Oct 6th 2022

Chivalry II
Developed by: Torn Banner Studios

Before I say anything, can I just say that I absolutely loved and still love the first Chivalry? There aren't many better ways to experience gaming than by being put in the middle of a battlefield full of screaming soldiers and swinging your polearms and shooting arrows from your bow to kill the opposing soldiers. What makes these games especially great is the same reason why I love Fall Guys so much. Whether you're really good at this game or if you straight up suck, you're still going to have a lot of fun. The game really shines due to the nature of it being relatively easy to pick up, and all the little nuances and creativity that goes into how the combat works next to feeling like your in a medieval movie, but also because it's just so god damn fun to swing your polearm around an enemy and proceeding to watch their arms or head fly right off...only to be stabbed by the enemy behind him. Combat is not very forgiving, but it is so much god damn fun that it doesn't even matter.

I'm sure along with everyone else, I was both excited and a little confused by the fact that we were getting a sequel, but ultimately I realized that it would allow the devs to do a lot more if they were working on updated equipment. So, naturally if they wanted to continue to make Chivalry even better than it already is, a sequel was necessary. And whether you're playing the first one or the sequel, you're going to have fun. But I strongly suggest playing the second one as it's got everything the first one has...just better.

I spent close to 2 hours last night just going from match to match, and my excitement never went away. Not sure just for the ridiculousness that is the theme itself, but the gameplay is so fluid and fun and there's virtually no time in between dying and spawning again, that it's relatively easy to just play a few matches and not even realize that you've been sitting there for 2+ hours chopping the limbs of your enemies.

Multiplayer games have not always been my go to for a variety of reasons, one simply being that I don't have the reflexes necessary to get better at handling how weapons work in an online setting, but much like Fall Guys, Chivalry II makes the game feel accessible from all aspects allowing you to sort of warm up into your favorite class without feeling like you're already underleveled and outclasses even before starting a match. I mean, my first match last night, I ended up with 20 kills, 16 deaths, and a couple of assists. But, then the next game I got close to none. It's all different and most importantly, it's all fun.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote