Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2022, 06:30 PM   #178 (permalink)
Key

Default My Favorite Game of 2022 pt. II - Video Game Month 2022 - Oct 6th 2022

My Favorite Game of 2022
part II

We've already discussed Elden Ring and why I consider my favorite experience with gaming in 2022, but...well, I wanna talk about it more, so I'm going to.

Along with everything else I've talked about, there's still quite a bit more I could bring up when talking about the quality of Elden Ring from both a gameplay standpoint and a graphical standpoint. We talked about the gameplay and classes before, so now I'm going to touch on the graphical stuff.

Simply put, Elden Ring looks amazing. To the breeze hitting the trees to the glow of the Erd tree in the distance, to the designs of bosses and enemies. Everything shows a level of originality and creativity that we see a lot in From Software games, but never in any other games of similar stature. Steel Rising does a pretty decent job, but still, the enemies typically feel the same and there isn't much variation in how to take them on. But with From Software and Elden Ring specifically, you can spend hours in one area taking on a certain type of enemy with a certain attack style, then move onto another area to take on another wave of enemies with different attack styles and typing. Causing you to sort of strategize how you take things on. Or...just don't take it on at all and grind on the weaker enemies to get your levels up. But...obviously it does take longer since you don't gain nearly as much experience as you would if you were taking on a larger and much more difficult enemy. The choice is ultimately yours. Hell, you can spend all your time fighting the first enemies in the first area if you want. You'll still level up, be it very slow.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in a post a while back, but I honestly lost count of the amount of times I just stood on a cliff or mountains edge and just looked at the surroundings. The sunsets, the sunrises, the clouds, everything. They nailed the atmosphere to a T and it is truly something to behold. I'll be curious to see where they take this style of gameplay next, because most certainly this is a humongous step forward for From Software. And who knows, will we see a sequel to Elden Ring? It's possible though only time will tell
Key is offline   Reply With Quote