Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2022, 02:27 PM   #179 (permalink)
Key

Default Fallout 76 - Video Game Month 2022 - Oct 12th 2022

Fallout 76
Published by: Bethesda Softworks

Fallout 76 has certainly at this point had an interesting lifespan when looking at it from its release to current. So much so, that it's kind of crazy to think that the game is still going, and going strong if I'm honest. I was unfortunately one of the many that jumped into the game when it was released, and while I was not as disappointed as a lot of other hardcore fans were, I definitely saw more and more that it really wasn't what they were promising. Especially when you consider the likes of Elder Scrolls Online, though that's not exactly a fair comparison given that ESO was developed by Zenimax Online Studios, and published by Bethesda. Not the same with Fallout 76.

Now, fast forward to now, is Fallout 76 a good game? Has it redeemed itself No Man's Sky style and is now a game worth putting your time into? I mean, yeah. If anything, I'd right off the bat recommend that you excuse all the negative reviews and jump in for yourself. The game definitely feels a lot more like a standard single player Fallout experience...just online. Which is precisely what I was looking for upon its initial release, though I can imagine that wasn't the same with everyone. When the game was released, and for a game to be based in a barren wasteland, it really felt like a barren wasteland, so much so that it really felt like there was close to nothing to do other than what was available at the time. I mean...no NPC characters? Of course that was fixed in subsequent updates, but still...who's decision was it to take out one of the most crucial parts of a Fallout experience in NPC characters?! That, along with the addition of more quests and more customization in other aspects, it's brought a lot of life back into the game that it desperately needed. I do not think it would have survived this long has they not done something

Anyway, aside from adding the essentials of a Fallout experience, performance wise the game runs very smoothly, with little to no hiccups along the way. There's still the little mishap here and there, and again, it's nowhere near perfect, but it's much closer to the expectations of those that were waiting for this game when it was announced. And instead of just throwing it out as another lost cause, it was instead brought back to life, and honestly, I'm having more fun playing now than I did during release. Of course I imagine that should go without saying given what I've said about Fallout 76 thus far.

I still to this day hold Fallout 3 in very high regard so much that I still think it's my favorite Fallout experience, but I also hold Fallout: New Vegas to a lot of the same high standard and honestly, the two tend to battle it out as far as what is my favorite experience. But now with Fallout 76 being where it's at, it's certainly nowhere near my favorite experience for Fallout of all time, but being able to jump into a game that you were excited for, disappointed by, then later on found that it's actually worth a lot of my time, is quite exciting.

Fallout 4 is very much the same for me as Fallout 76 when it comes to my overall feelings of it. I love it, but not as much as the others. To be honest, Far Harbor is the closest Fallout 4 got to coming close to my favorite experience, but that's solely due to the fact that it reminded me of my Fallout 3 experience with how dark and spooky it is. Far Harbor is definitely the reason why Fallout 4 is worth going back to, because honestly as time has gone on, and I have played it more and more over the years, it falls short on a lot of things. Not necessarily bad, just falls short.

At the end of the day though, we're all just fans of what we like and we stay away from things we don't like. I will reiterate if you have played Fallout 76 and are still recovering from the burn it left behind as a result of a ****ty release, give it another shot. Start a new character, or just continue with your current one. You'll have a good time, or if anything, an improved experience in relation to your last one.

And base building is still a thing. I like base building.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote