Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Sixty-Second Samplers
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2022, 05:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Nut
Artist: K.T. Tunstall
Genre: Pop Rock
Nationality: Scottish
Familiarity (artist): Zero
Familiarity (genre): A lot; if you include the likes of Bon Jovi, a-ha and suchlike bands

A word before I jump in: Almost mixed her up with K.D. Lang! Woops! No more to say. Let’s see what she has to say.

Tracks

“Out of Touch”
Good rocking beat to get things started, and I get a sense of Blondie from this. Also Texas to some degree. Good voice.
Rating: 8

“I am the Pilot”
Like the slow intro on soft synth and acoustic piano, then it turns into a bit of a bopper, which is sort of disappointing, as I was expecting better. Not bad though. Just not great.
Rating: 6

“Three”
Sort of a hollow slow drumbeat here, and it’s almost acoustic as a track. Don’t to be honest think a lot of this, and it’s not sixty seconds old. Meh.
Rating: 5

“Dear Shadow”
Very dancey, kind of a sub-Madonna feel to it, but nowhere near as good. Catchy, with what seems to be a good hook already. Not bad.
Rating: 7

“Private Eyes”
Yeah I don’t like this much at all. Sort of a breezy rhythm to it, maybe a Katy Perry or Lily Allen feel, not that I’d know. Meh. Not for me.
Rating: 5

“Canyons”
Better, with a good snarling guitar and a rock base to build the song on. Possibly the best on the album so far, though that’s really not saying an awful lot.
Rating: 9

“Synapse”
That hollow drumbeat again, faster this time with some sort of sample which I find very annoying. The song itself ain’t too bad, but that repeated sample is getting on my tits. The bridge is good, to be fair.

“Demigod”
Vibraphone or marimbas or something which gives this, for me, a sort of Peter Gabriel feel, and yeah to be fair it’s not too bad a song. Mind you, since it’s about a woman it should be she’s a demigoddess, but however.

“All the Time”
Like the breezy acoustic intro, reminds me of Carole King or something. Very indie rock and the kind of thing you might expect to hear an unknown singing in a cafe while everyone ignores her. Cute.
Rating: 8

“Brain in a Jar”
A song about death it seems, so quite effective with the dark piano and stuttering synth. A pity her other stuff isn’t like this. Country style, powerful song for a closer.
Rating: 10

Average Track Rating: 7.2

Comments: A few good tracks, one really good one, but it would be hard to convince myself to buy this album. It’s not that it’s bad, it’s just there is very little there to attract me, and maybe it’s this genre that she sings in, but I’m just not that bothered. If you’re a fan of hers, of course, I’m sure you’ll buy it, but it’s not really for me.

Album Rating: 6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVxf...zcA-9Np_VCJ17p