Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2022, 08:21 AM   #241 (permalink)
Key

Default My Favorite Characters That Appeared In Games On N64 - November 64 - Nov 15th 2022

My Favorite Characters That Appeared In Games On The Nintendo 64
some of them

Lemme tell ya, whoever was making games for the N64 back in the day all had one thing in common - creativity. When I look back on games that I played on the system, I continuously find myself diving deeper into remembering dialogue moments between characters or remember a specific character for a specific reason. I know it should be obvious but it is great that not only were the games for the system built with love and care, the characters within them were also treated with the same respect allowing both to harmonize and make great gameplay for us to enjoy. And while I'm sure this list could be endless, I'm going to mention a few of the standout characters for me that appeared in games that I played.

T.T. from Diddy Kong Racing
If you so chose to, after you had completed the game, you could do time trials of all the levels. And if you managed to beat the time that T.T. completed it in, which includes getting the twists and turns almost perfect and never losing momentum, you'd unlock this character. The reason why I like this character so much is because I think for me, it was one of the first times I'd experienced working on something in a game in order to unlock some new content. And boy, when you unlocked T.T. in game, you were basically unstoppable at that point. T.T. comes with nearly perfect stats in turning, speed, everything. He's basically the best character in the game and from what I remember, beating all the time trial levels was actually quite difficult because as I said, T.T. is a near perfect character who manages to beat every level perfectly. You have to try and try again to find the most time saving moments that'll allow you to then beat his time in every level. It's worth it though.

Bowser from Super Mario 64
I think this would only fall on this list if we're talking specifically the Bowser from Super Mario 64, which I am in this case. While not just being an amazing villain in an already amazing game, I simply hold the final fight with Bowser in that game with high regard at all time. It is such a good conclusion from the trials and tribulations that you put yourself through to get to that point, and Bowser is certainly difficult and gets more difficult as the fight goes on. The added fact that the stage turns into the shape of a star is just a nice additional touch.

Jinjo from Banjo-Kazooie / Banjo-Tooie
There are two separate reasons as to why I like this character. One being that you get to see a massive jinjo finish the fight with Gruntilda in Banjo-Kazooie, which is still badass in my book. But also Banjo-Tooie sheds a whole new light on them and it's actually amazing to watch the village fill up again with jinjos that you find throughout the levels. And some of them are tough to get. Also when the almighty jinjo gets his life sucked out of him in Banjo-Tooie, still one of the creepiest characters in either games combined. Absolutely love both games and absolutely love the use of jinjos in both. Even though they are technically just another collectible.

Glover from Glover
When I mentioned creativity earlier, this is specifically what I was referring to. Glover is literally that - a glove. Yet in a game filled with wonder and magic and platforming and whatever else, Glover feels alive and you actually come to care about the character even though it is just a walking glove with a face. Whether that's creative or not in your eyes is a toss up but I think to bring life into something lifeless and have it work very well is a nice thing to see.

Metal Mario from Super Mario 64
I'm choosing specifically metal mario out of the bunch of marios in the game simply because of the music that plays when you pick up the metal cap. You just feel unstoppable when you run through levels with the metal cap and the added bonus adrenaline that the music is pumping out just makes it all the better. I like the other versions of mario certainly, but I get the most enjoyment out of metal mario. I know a lot of people like flying cap and I actually think that would be 2nd in my book, but metal mario is just a little better.

Ganondorf / Ganon from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
I'm sure this one gets chosen a lot when it comes to choosing your favorite characters for this game specifically, but I just want to add my 2 cents to the bunch. I absolutely adore all the characters from this game because they have so much individuality that you come to love them all for different reasons. You meet a lot of people throughout your adventure yet none of them ever feel the same. All different motives, all different feelings towards them. When it comes to choosing my favorite, I have to go with the deadly duo of Ganondorf then turned Ganon. You meet this menacing dude from the start of the game but it's filled with so much mystery that you can't even imagine the type of person this will be. And much like Bowser from Super Mario 64, the boss fight against the two of these is one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. I think it has everything it needs to be a near perfect if not perfect boss fight to finish your adventure off. Everything you have gone through so far has led you to face off with him and man, it really is rewarding when you get the final blow on Ganon and subsequently save the land of Hyrule. Just a stellar set of characters in a great setting to wrap it up nicely.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote