Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Sixty-Second Samplers
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2022, 07:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Sunrise on Slaughter Beach
Artist: Clutch
Genre: Hard Rock/Heavy Metal
Nationality: American
Familiarity (artist): I think I’ve heard one album
Familiarity (genre): Well this is my jam, as they say: one of my favourite genres

A word before I jump in: From what I can recall, I listened to one album - think it was 2013’s Earth Rocker - at a recommendation from Plankton. I don’t remember hating it, but I definitely don’t recall loving it either.

Tracks

“Red Alert”
Comes in slowly and fades in on a kind of psychedelic beat then kicks up into a metal storm. Bit raw I think. Can’t say I like this right off.
Rating: 5

“Sunrise on Slaughter Beach”
A more immediate start, powerful and anthemic, with a stomping beat made for the live stage. Sort of like a far heavier Zep maybe.
Rating: 6

“Mountain of Bone”
Get a kind of low boogie feel from this, muted drumming and a growling guitar. Bit of a tribal idea too.

“Nosferatu Madre”
Another hard rocker with a kind of punching the air feel, again I imagine will go down very well live.

“Mercy Brown”
Sort of a cross between Black Sabbath and Nick Cave. Yeah.

“We Strive for Excellence”
More of a Sabbath feel to this with a hard, attacking guitar and a growly vocal. Meh.

“Skeletons on Mars”
A sort of trundling, rolling beat to this, but basically it’s sounding a lot the same as this goes on.

“Three Golden Horns”
Is that organ or digital piano or something? Finally, a track that’s a little diff - oh no, my mistake. Back to the hard rockin' blues stride metal yadda yadda yadda.

“Jackhammer Our Names”
Slow, hollow, kind of doomy drumbeat with a rising guitar line and this seems a least to be different. Slow and menacing and again I hear the ghost of Cave here, very much so.

Average Track Rating: 5.5

Comments: Under the usual disclaimer that yes, I have only heard sixty seconds of each track here (clue's in the thread name, people) I know a lot of you swear by them but I just don’t get it. This is very generic rock to me, nothing new, nothing different, something a hundred bands could do and indeed probably do. Pass.

Album Rating: 5C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Xg_hQVFL8