Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 07:29 AM   #245 (permalink)
Key

Default Star Wars Episode I: Racer - November 64 - Nov 19th 2022

Star Wars Episode I: Racer

I think I talked about this game somewhat recently due to the fact that it has a re-release on the Playstation 4 and yes, it still holds up. I won't go too heavily into it, but Star Wars Episode I: Racer is possibly my favorite racing game of all time. And there are several fairly simple reasons as to why:

First off, level design is absolutely top notch. I knew this back then but it was further held true when I played the re-release but man, the level design in this game is most certainly a peak for the time. Although some level designs get repeated, the game does a really nice job in submerging you into a Star Wars atmosphere to do nothing other than get you to really believe you are the one in the podracer and this is your fight. The game also comes jam packed with an excellent staff of characters whom you can choose to race as at any given time. Some have better stats than others as is typical in games like this, but they also still feel very unique and individual given that they are all so completely different than each other. Though that's more due to the source material than anything else, it's still used quite nicely here to give you a nice selection of racers to choose from. Even the racing aspect that the game is focused on feels really nice to play, and even felt nice to play back on the Nintendo 64 with that janky controller. You basically control your character going as quickly as possible while also dodging oncoming obstacles. You can get a power boost that furthers your lead in the game thus leaving your enemies in the dust. You can cause them to blow up by tricking them into running into a wall. And...you'll do this a lot too. At least I did. Sometimes the speed gets to be too much and you lose control of your character. So...go fast. But not too fast. Fortunately reviving your character doesn't take too long and you can continue to race. Never feels like a chore to wait for your character to come back. It's just done and done.

Star Wars Episode I: Racer is also one of those titles that people absolutely loved back when it released originally, and then people still love the re-release. I know I'm one of those people, and I tend to feel that way because even throughout the years we've had racing games come and go. To have a game like Episode I: Racer still hold up to today's standards is pretty remarkable. When I played through this game recently, I had nothing but an absolute blast. It felt simultaneously amazing to control it on a normal controller but also it was really nice to feel the nostalgic rush all the way through. The re-release to me just further cements the point that this is one of the best games of all time, and certainly falls in my top 10 games on the console altogether. Maybe even top 5.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote