Music Banter - View Single Post - The Saturday 6-Pack
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 04:01 PM   #11568 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

1. The moment (a song, a video, an event) you knew you were out of touch with pop culture cause you've grown old. Like what The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show would be to you if you were a Sinatra guy born in 1927, that kind of thing.

I recall firmly raising my eyebrows when I saw Spice Girls' "Wannabe" on MTV in 1996. That was when I decisively tuned out of broadcast media and pop culture forever. Haven't heard much of anything new since.

This reminds me of a relevant excerpt from the book Retromania: Pop Culture's Addiction to Its Own Past by Simon Reynolds. On pg 201 he writes:

Quote:
Remember the Pop Boutique store in central London with its slogan 'Don't follow fashion. Buy something that's already out of date'? Just as vintage can have an undercurrent of recalcitrance towards fashion, similarly it is possible for rock nostalgia to contain dissident potential. If Time has become annexed by capitalism's cynical cycles of product shifting, one way to resist that is to reject temporality altogether. The revivalist does this by fixating on one era and saying: 'Here I make my stand.' By fixing identity to the absolute and abiding supremacy of one sound and one style, the revivalist says, ' This is me.'
I don't have much insight on the other 6-Pack questions but wanted to share that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote