Music Banter - View Single Post - The Saturday 6-Pack
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2022, 01:21 PM   #11594 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

You'd actually be surprised how many people hate to be corrected. Some think they're right anyway, despite the obvious evidence, some know they're wrong but don't want you to point it out. Case in point: ex-friend of mine was working in my office and was convinced - I mean, literally sure - that a cake was a coffee slice, despite the very obvious problem that there was no coffee flavour from it, and the icing was white. I argued back and forth with her but she would not hear of it. Eventually - because, like you, I really can't stand it when someone sticks to a false belief that can be easily disproven - we went down to the canteen where the lady sells the cakes and I asked her what it was. "Vanilla slice", she told me. "Not a coffee slice?" I confirmed, as she looked at me funny. "No. Vanilla slice." Fran was all kind of, "Oh." But had I not got an outside party to back me up, she never would have believed me, or wanted to. There are a lot of people like that. It's like, just don't correct me. I don't care if I'm wrong. Don't correct me.

Karen used to always call the background of her mobile phone a screensaver, and I tried to explain to her it wasn't: a screensaver moves, this doesn't. I wanted her to know, because otherwise when she used it in company people might laugh at her ignorance/stupidity. But again all I got was "don't correct me." Never understand that. As you say, if you're wrong you're wrong, and wouldn't you want to know that, so you can correct yourself in the future? I sure would. But not everyone does. Form of insecurity I suppose.