Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2022, 05:15 AM   #78038 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

But you're not taking into account that many countries (Ireland included) have no legal assisted suicide/euthanasia (yeah not the place for jokes I know, but I always thought that sounded like a bunch of young people in China: euthanasia) - Karen has occasionally had thoughts of ending it all, but even if I agreed - which on the odd occasion I kind of considered doing - I'd end up in jail for murder. There's no way around that.

I used to subscribe to the idea that suicide was inherently a selfish act, taking the easy way out. I can't anymore. It's been pointed out how literally unable to live with themselves some of these people feel (probably all of them; well, there are other reasons I guess to end your life, but I imagine depression accounts for the biggest percentage) and it's hardly fair to expect them to struggle on just for someone else's sake. It's a sticky problem. My only real issue is people who do it, as you say, without trying to talk to their loved ones or even professionals, see if it's really as bad as they think. I mean, you have, or had, kids hanging themselves over bad test results. Come on: in the larger scheme of things, is this something worth killing yourself over?

It's a conversation, though, for a separate thread I think, and a nuanced one too. It's dangerous and probably disrespectful to treat it in an off-hand, one-size-fits-all manner.