Music Banter - View Single Post - Into The Breach: Key's Gaming Journal
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2022, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Key

Default 1991 - Super Mario World

Whenever I look back on the games that were released in these years, it always surprises me just how many of them I do not know anything about. That could be due to just not really researching the topic all that much, or whatever, but it didn't stop the year from releasing some greats. Obviously, given that I was born this year and was fairly young in the 90's, a lot of these games are games I played much later on in life, and subsequently became some of my favorite games of all time. I'm only talking about them based on the year they were released, and on the eventual personal experiences I had with the game(s) growing up. There's always one title that springs to mind when I think of the 90's and more specifically this year, and that of course goes to Super Mario World. I think I may have even went in depth as to why this game is on my favorite games of all time list, but it's just a testament to it's quality that I find myself once again wanting to go more in depth as to why this game has such a permanent place in my top list.

Super Mario World, to me, is the way it should be played. It brought everything to the table. A great playable Mario that feels good to move and jump around with. Mix that with some fantastic looking and feeling levels on top of an ever expanding overworld that you traverse through, makes for nothing but a great experience each time you play through it. And man, I do not remember the number of times in my life I have played through this game, or have just watched somebody play through the whole thing. Any time I do go through it in one way or another, I always am oozing with nostalgic feelings along with being able to remember clearly what I was doing when I experienced a part of the game for the first time. It's pretty crazy how you can remember certain things about your younger self when presented with some so familiar. And in this case, Super Mario World fits that bill for me. I just have vivid memories of sitting in my parents basement with a big couch and a small TV in front of me, and just playing through this game over and over and over again. Never felt old, and even playing this game again somewhat recently, it still holds up. It was and is just a pure example of what a great side scrolling platformer should be or at least aim to be. That's no surprise though, given that the Super Mario games in general have always been looked in with such high regard. I just simply find Super Mario World to be the quintessential way to play a game like this as it's the one I have the most time with and also the one that I enjoy the most. That opinion will differ from person to person, but I have also found that while it is not people's favorite Mario game, it is still seen as one of the greats.

The powerups is something else I'd like to talk about because again, as far as Mario games go, I think Super Mario World also fits the bill as far as which side scrolling Mario game has the best power ups. I mean, the feather that can practically make you fly through an entire level practically unscathed is so overpowered but I love it as much all the same. It also feels really cool to feel yourself fly in the game because the way the controls are setup, makes you feel like you have total and complete controls. Plus, the sound it makes as you continue to fly is addicting and it's just a fun power up overall. Honestly one of the best Mario power ups ever, imo. Much the same can be said about the feather cap in Super Mario 64, but for it's time, the feather was and is still amazing and feels good to use in this game. The other power ups are sort of just there but they serve their purpose. I just remember having the most fun with the feather that gave you a cape and the ability to fly.

Obviously, graphically, I still think the game looks great. The levels in my opinion are different enough to where they all have their own unique charm to them. And while some may look the same, the overall gameplay makes them feel still unique and interesting to go through, and often times you won't really even focus on the backdrop. But sometimes it is nice to sit and see how much work when into creating the world building aspect of this game. That goes for the backdrops in levels to the over world to everything else. It's just got a nice charm to it that separates it from Mario games and certainly lets it sit on its own. It has done so for so many years now and continues to be people's favorite game to go back to, or to even play for the first time. I enjoy my time each time I decide to go back to it, and I certainly feel like going back to it again now that I've talked about it. Again.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote