Music Banter - View Single Post - Comus' 1001 Albums you should listen to before you die
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2022, 12:28 AM   #204 (permalink)
Queen Boo
From beyooond the graaave

First side of Foxtrot was pretty much doomed to be underrated because of Supper's Ready taking up most of the second side.

Watcher of the Skies is a fantastic opener and that mellotron intro alone is one of the most iconic Genesis moments for me, so simple yet so effective, it's spine tingling, and the song overall has that really cool and hypnotic staccato rhythm to it.

Time Table is really nice even if the lyrics get a bit silly with the medieval-isms, Banks's piano work is the star here and I always loved the outro which goes to show that even in prog the simplest of musical phrases can work better than something super complex.

Get 'Em Out by Friday is one I'm quite fond of and wish it got more love, it's one of their better social commentary songs, yeah sure dunking on landlords isn't the bravest of statements but it's just as relevant as ever, I like that it blends it's social commentary with a bit of absurdist humor especially near the end, and the music really nails that feeling of claustrophobia, the gentle instrumental sections are my favorite bits though and provide some much needed solace from the chaos. This would feel like a grand epic on most other albums but here it just happens to be overshadowed by Supper's Ready.

Can-Utility and the Coastliners is really beautiful though it's a little light on hooks compared to the other tracks and I often forget how it goes when I'm not listening to it, still great though and it has this nautical feel that perfectly fits with the lyrics.

Horizons is a super short but still lovely little baroque acoustic guitar diddy from Hackett and it makes for a nice breather right before the big finale.

Supper's Ready is perfect and that's all I have to say about it really, nothing I can say about it that hasn't already been said.

All in all Foxtrot definitely earns it's place as one of the greats and it's probably only my 4th favorite Genesis album overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
A whole bunch of stupid sh*t that I regret

Last edited by Queen Boo; 12-29-2022 at 02:04 AM.
Queen Boo is offline   Reply With Quote