Music Banter - View Single Post - Into The Breach: Key's Gaming Journal
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2022, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Key

Default 1993 - Super Mario All-Stars

It's simultaneously crazy how once again I have clearly not played very many video games from the snes and nes era because each time I look up a list of games released in these years, it's pretty insane how many games released and it's also pretty remarkable to see just how many games were released for this era of game systems. All that aside though, we're talking about my favorites, so let's get right into it with Super Mario All-Stars.

While choosing this game I know that both it is a compilation of games as well as being a compilation of games that have previously existed. Knowing that though, I still choose to put this here as my favorite for 1993, because it's certainly one of the best game compilations to ever come out. A lot get very close, but Super Mario All-Stars hit all the right notes for me. I have vague memories of just being in awe of how some of the graphics looked differently than their originals, and honestly I prefer the Super Mario All-Stars versions. It always felt like the controls and gameplay were tightened just enough to make it a fluid experience. I have not played the game in many years now, but as well as my other favorites, I just remember having good times. I don't really think I understood the concept of compilation games so I always saw Super Mario All-Stars as one big mario game, as I think it should be remembered.

I'm sure even to today's standards, it still holds up as a fantastic compilation of games. A lot of times we'll get compilations of games that are simply there just to add to the list of games. This certainly does not include the remasters of Spyro The Dragon and Crash Bandicoot because those are two shining examples of how to do a remaster right. Especially of classic games like Spyro and Crash. Super Mario All-Stars followed that formula way before it, and I think that inspiration carried forward. Even though the Castlevania Advance Collection didn't remaster anything, it is still nice to have a compilation of Castlevania games that I adore immensely.

Now all I want to do is plug in my super nintendo and find a copy of Super Mario All-Stars and play through it again. Could be a recipe for a good time, I'd say.

I am also aware that so far, all my favorites from the 90's have been Mario games. What can I say, Mario games have consistently been if not great, at the very least, good. Some of them maybe missed the mark on a few things, especially in the handheld era, but I still hold many Mario games as top tier games in my mind. I mean, as messy as Super Mario 64 looks compared to today's standards, it still play infinitely better than some games that get released in this era. It's pretty crazy to play through it and with many Mario games, to see the creativity and advanced knowledge of gameplay that was on display before any of the games in recent times caught onto it. Mario games have and always will be a staple in gaming for many years to come.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote