Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2023, 01:25 PM   #23842 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

The reason I asked was to pinpoint exactly the level of danger she was pointing to. Because we happen to be in the middle of a discussion on whether there is currently and/or is going to be a genocide in the near future. In case you are unaware, there are people who believe we are already in the beginning stages. So when some one comes in with I'm more scared now then I ever have been, yeah I want them to get a little more specific about what they're afraid of. Cause it could people people on trains headed to camps, or it could be the answer she gave about medical **** etc. I do think there's a drastic difference there and even if it's insensitive it needs to be pointed out.

I think there is a tendency for progressives to always err on the side of the more extreme talking point whenever talking about oppression or discrimination. Because the more extremely you present things, the more "serious" you are taking them. But I think there is definitely a danger in throwing words like genocide loosely. It can unironically lead to civil conflict.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote