Music Banter - View Single Post - Comus' 1001 Albums you should listen to before you die
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2023, 08:40 AM   #231 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comus View Post
Album 921

Outer Limits - Misty Moon
Year: 1985

The 80's were a dark time for progressive rock, especially compared to how much great work came out in the 70's. Outer Limits beautiful symphonic effort Misty Moon seems to have been forgotten by almost everybody, undeservedly so. This album is a joy to listen to an evokes a feeling of nostalgia that I can't quite place, a yearning to put on something old and familiar. I'm not going to claim that Outer Limits go somewhere new and explore the unknown here, but what they are doing is keeping prog rock alive and interesting smack bang in the middle of the darkest decade (for prog). The vocals are a bit of a miss, but definitely not as bad as you could expect from a Japanese band singing mostly in English. What makes this truly shine however is the excellent Violin. Revisiting this album for this list has had me putting it on again and again, it's a special album, please give it a few whirls.

3 Choice Tracks: Misty Moon, Saturated Solution, Subete wa Kaze no Yōni
Oh now I have to take issue with this statement! Marillion, Pendragon, IQ, Pallas - the 80s were a time of resurgence in prog rock - Genesis even gave it a go with... no, no. I can't say that with a straight face. But bands like Qasar and Twelfth Night, I mean, come on. Dark?