Music Banter - View Single Post - Yes or No? Tales from Trollographic Oceans
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 05:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I take your point. You can have it back when you start behaving.
Thing is, I don't know much of the Beatles' music outside of their singles, so whether it was a good or bad cover would not make itself apparent to me, and so I wouldn't/couldn't give them points for it. I did mention in my previous review of the album in the Prog History thread about the "Daytripper" thing, but here, to me, it doesn't matter. I'm looking for original material from a new band, and covers, for me, don't cut it.

i want to see what the band can write, not what they can cleverly copy or amend or interpret. Overall, I'm not a fan of covers, but definitely not on the first album. Just me. I mean, they probably did a great version of the Byrds' song too, but how do I know, not being a Byrds fan? (They're for the... no, I won't say it) All I can go on is that it IS a cover, and therefore, to me, on a debut album, wasted space, where the band could have instead written another song. It may not be a popular opinion, but that's mine. Don't give me covers on your first album, and ideally not too many at all unless they're like bonus tracks or you're marking some anniversary maybe.