Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Indie consumerist bullsh*t?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 06:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
Queen Boo
From beyooond the graaave

Anyway I did watch the video and hoo boy it's bad.

Y'all may remember me being quite the indie hater back in the day but hey guess what I grew up, and yet here's a guy in his 40s regurgitating all the same lazy stereotypes that were already getting old 20 years ago. Indie rock is one of the broadest musical categories there is it covers so many different styles and yet he has no problem making the most extreme generalizations about it, saying it all lacks passion and meaning. He's seriously calling Sonic Youth safe and lumping them in with f*cking Munford & Sons? He dismisses Husker Du as nothing but a heavier REM and his go to example is a song from their most commercial, least punk influenced album? Pretty revealing that he uses some girl he knew as a personal anecdote and just comes off as a judgemental assh*le.

Clearly the only purpose of this video was to stir sh*t up and get clicks. If he actually gave a sh*t he could have used this subject as a jumping off point to discuss the commercialization of underground music in general and how terms like "indie" and "punk" are too restrictive and put unrealistic expectations on artists, that would have actually been insightful and interesting but no, instead he just declares that indie rock was always commercial and calls everyone who likes indie music consumerists and all because some of it is used in TV commercials I guess? Nothing to say about how punk rock has been commercialized? I guess not, that would require some self reflection on his part considering he's literally a marketing guy, he'd know a thing or two about consumerism, the nerve of this f*cking guy, seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
A whole bunch of stupid sh*t that I regret

Last edited by Queen Boo; 01-05-2023 at 06:13 AM.
Queen Boo is offline   Reply With Quote