Music Banter - View Single Post - Emerging From the Vinyl Collector Passion
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I can't really speak to collecting, not seriously. From the time I started my first job - actually no; from the time I started my first part-time job, whle still at school, I wanted to buy records with my wages (well, with what was left over after I gave money to my mam of course) and unlike yourself I just bought what I liked. I'd get into an artist - Springsteen, Seger, ELO - and then buy all their albums. But I did this because, in the late 1970s and early-to-mid 1980s, this was the only medium available. Once CDs became the new thing, the idea of being able to a) store my collection in about 1/100th the space my albums took up and b) being able to play them without having to clean/handle carefully/make sure I didn't tip off the turntable (and no turning over for side two!) became the incentive for me to replace as much of my vinyl collection with CDs.

Even now, I still have my collection of 400-odd LPs, but I haven't played any of them in a good 20 years. I no longer have a turntable. I used to have a setup that included one, plus an amp and speakers and both a CD player and a CD recording deck, and a tape deck at one point, but one fine morning my entire system crashed - literally. The shelf collapsed and I had to run to try to save what I could before it all hit the floor. I never put it back up again, and now, to be honest, I hardly even listen to CDs but just use MP3s. Sound quality was never something I was that meticulous about, and as long as I can listen to the music I like, I really don't care what format it's in. I used to use Spotify but I've been boycotting them since last year and haven't bothered with a new streaming service.

The only advice I could give is - let us in! You write a fantastic journal so why not start enthusing more about your music collection? Not so much that it's first edition or boxed signed sets or whatever, but the actual music and the artists. I'm sure we'd all be fascinated. You could even start a new one, call it, I don't know, Invitation to My Music or something that doesn't sound as crap as that. Everyone here is interested in music, so rather than just let it all sit there and not be appreciated (if you feel that's not happening now) why not share it with us?

Just my small amount of negotiable currency's worth.