Music Banter - View Single Post - Announcing Something Completely Different
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2023, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Default Announcing Something Completely Different

Hi there musicbanterers,

Me and Trollheart don't always see eye to eye on various topics, but if you've been around MB for a while you may remember that both myself and Trollheart have played with the idea of creating a new home for the MB community. In short, my motivation has come from a frustration with the current ownership and lack of updates while I believe Trollheart has been chiefly concerned with the day when MB might suddenly be gone.

Finding some common ground and motivation in our concerns, we put our differences aside, hooked up on DMs and went about establishing a new forum with the sort of features we'd want from a modern forum experience. After some testing, we've made a forum that we're very happy with. We call it:

Something Completely Different

Our self-hosted forum runs on Simple Machines Forum and is hosted on a rented space/server. It is accessible through our newly registered domain: scd.community.

Some features:
  • Mobile / tablet optimized
  • Phone notifications
  • Optional dark theme
  • Users can change to visual themes if they don't like how it looks
  • Users can like posts
  • Users can tag/mention other users (generates notification)
  • Secret forum so we can share personal details without sharing it to the whole world
  • Support for MB's weird, old smileys
  • Automatic image resizing (huge pics get smaller)

The biggest bonus is a forum that we manage on our own, such as updating and adding features. This way, we can also share backups and make sure that your content doesn't just disappear one day.

BUT! A forum is nothing without users. While a whole MB signup is too optimistic, we want to warmly welcome you and hope you'd like to check SCD out. Hopefully our features and growing community will make you want to stay.

We have a small to-do list and once our community is up and running, we're hoping to find some motivated moderators, both to nurture the community, but also to help us develop Something Completely Different further. We're hoping some of you can help us with this.

And if nothing else, you can have SCD as a backup place or safe haven from which to put pressure on Advameg.

If you're curious, feel free to check out our mission statement and, of course, post any questions you might have or send me a PM.

Last edited by Guybrush; 01-12-2023 at 02:26 AM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote