Music Banter - View Single Post - Emerging From the Vinyl Collector Passion
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2023, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I couldn't not be a youtube premium subscriber because we use youtube a lot and I can't stand youtube freemium. How do people stand those ads? It's gross and vulgar. Like.. You accept being interrupted in the middle of something because they wanna manipulate you into buying stuff? Yuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
Also importantly - would YouTube Music Premium preserve and maintain my lossless archival FLAC or would it compress the audio to 320CBR, v0 or lower? And how would it interpret and retain all the ID3 data I've worked so hard to uniformly structure and tag?
I don't actually know because I've been using the service for many years. I jumped on board google play music shortly after that launched in 2011 and got kinda converted over into youtube music later on.

Because I make music, I upload my own unfinished songs to the service, but I don't think too much about quality because I'm usually at the mixing stage and not listening for compression artifacts and the like anyways.

My guess is they convert flacs to 320 mp3s, but I don't actually know. I also think serious consumers of digital files should subject themselves to some proper blind testing to get an idea of the extent to which mp3s deteriorate their listening experience.