Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2023, 05:35 AM   #24788 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Don't ever read 'Strangers' by Koontz or 'Swan Song' by McKammon then.
Read both not long after The Stand and it's obvious that they were inspired by the multiple main characters with no connection until they are brought together by a shared bond narrative of King's opus.

Fun books but both suffers from too many ****ing characters.

imo
non-fiction = documentary
fiction = movie
I haven't read that one but it's not typical of Koontz. I've read, let's see... Lightning, Twilight Eyes, Hideaway, Whispers, The Face, False Memory, Cold Fire, The Bad Place, Mr. Murder and am currently reading for Karen Dark Rivers of the Heart, one his best. This has at best three main characters (four if you include the dog) and others just come and go; there's no need to take notes. I don't find he writes that way so maybe Strangers is an exception, or maybe, since by your own admission you don't like or read novels, it's just not something you're used to, keeping a few characters in your head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGR View Post
See I'm the opposite. I can't really read a 1000 page fiction book because usually at some point, I think: "Does any of this even ****ing matter? It's all make believe." Non-fiction has the benefit of leaving me with the feeling that I've absorbed some kind of real word experience. Which isn't to say that fiction can't provide that, it's just that with much longer fiction, I'm more apt to ask myself the question of if it's really worth the time.

Regarding the nazi book, is it Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich"?
What you read depends of course on what you want to get out of the experience. I personally always read novels, not for information but for entertainment, to be taken out of the drab, humdrum world and cast into another. Nowadays I also read to see how others write, and to perhaps pick up tips or maybe just marvel at how well - or badly - they write.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
dick is my favorite.
Sorry sorry, I had to.