Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2023, 03:54 PM   #32317 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucha na Dziko View Post
wow

I sure wish to be able to play a record this old one day

Does it work on a turntable though? Didn't the technique of making records change considerably between the 1900s and whenever vinyl records became the norm?
Do you have a special kind of turntable for it?
My apologies for any confusion - the song I showcased is one of the pictured Edison Blue Amberol Cylinders, not the Diamond Disc. Mine is one of the earliest cylinders issued, as most were not circulated until between 1912 and 1929.

I haven't a wax cylinder player in my home, but I have been shopping around for a restored machine.

Presently, the oldest talking machine I posses is a handsome Philco 47-1227 floor model phonograph & radio manufactured in 1947.

It has excellent sensitivity and selectivity, owing to the use of double IF stages plus, for the FM band, a high gain pentode RF amplifier. The set uses a 12" electrodynamic
speaker mounted to the front-panel that tilts out to reveal the internal phonograph.

The model was introduced with an initial sales price of $239.50 in 1947.

My late father and I found it on the side of the road on trash day. We carefully transported it home and found that the tubes were 100% functional and it fired right up when we plugged it in!

If I do end up with a wax cylinder talking machine, I promise to share photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
Unusually pristine-looking old record and wax cylinders, ISB. I am inspired to read a bit about Edison Diamond Discs now. Thanks for sharing the novelty song - I got a kick out of that!
I'm so pleased that the community enjoys my little sonic excursions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote