Music Banter - View Single Post - Into The Breach: Key's Gaming Journal
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2023, 02:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Key

Default 1999 - Super Smash Bros

We are closing out the 90's today, and while the list of games released this year may not be as full of greats as other years so far, there are still quite a few to choose from when talking about my favorite game from that year. A few examples would be Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Pokemon Gold & Silver, Donkey Kong 64. I know I've talked many times about the aforementioned, so I'm going to try to talk about a different game from that year, though I still would consider it one of my favorites from that year. That game being Super Smash Bros.

Honestly, any of the games that I mentioned would easily take the spot for my favorite of the year, but as I've talked many times about those games already, I figure the next best one would be to talk about Super Smash Bros, and that's what I'm here to do today. Despite this game having many sequels, all of which are infinitely better in multiple ways, the series had to start somewhere right? And while Super Smash Bros as a whole is not all that impressive, the fact that it basically started or at least helped pioneer an entire subset genre of gaming is pretty remarkable. I remember time and time again getting together with a couple of school friends and just duking it out either on this title or the sequels that had come out during that time. That was so long ago so I barely remember. I just know that there were many many sleepless sleepovers due to playing hours upon hours of Super Smash Bros.

One of the coolest things about Super Smash Bros and hell, the smash games in general is the fact that you can fight your friends with your favorite video game characters. And obviously as time has gone on, the roster for whom you can choose to fight with has just continued to increase over time. I mean, Super Smash Bros Ultimate has 74 different characters you get to choose from. So, whether or not you think that's too many is just it's own thing. But god damn, they are dedicated to making the games as accessible and as fun as humanly possible. I'm eager to see which characters make the roster for the next game.

The thing I also remember really enjoying growing up is trying to guess which characters will make it to an official Smash roster. And while the theory crafting was much more satisfying back in the day without the depth of the internet, it is still fun to think about why some of your beloved characters haven't made the cut. But I mean, at this point, the amount that haven't made it must be significantly smaller than the ones that have made it. Again though, I don't really know what to expect with the next addition of Smash, but it will be cool to see who makes the cut.

The unfortunate thing about the Smash series in general is, while it is a series of games I wholeheartedly respect and enjoy, I have never gotten very good at them. I know people and have known people throughout my life that their skill with Super Smash Bros exceeds my own 10 fold, maybe even 100 fold. It's one of those games that I really enjoy watching when someone is good, but can also be relatively painful when watching somebody else play.

I also don't think the Nintendo 64 made it very easy to get the controls down to a point where you felt overpowered, because that god damn controller is just a gift from Satan. Nearly impossible to play any sort of skill based game with a controller that works against you all the time. Doesn't keep the game from being fun though. And that's really all there is to it at the end of the day.

From here we move into the 2000's. That wraps it up for the 90's. Lots of gems. And many more to come.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote