Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2023, 05:04 PM   #628 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

With my first listen to the first song, Sunny Daze I thought the singer's voice was rather weak, and I never heard anything to change that opinion.

I though the title track was a bit better, with an interesting start, a relaxed beat and some nice fuzzy guitar in the chorus. But most of the songs, to me, followed the pattern of the Bahamas song; they start well, they are OK in the middle, but I found myself losing interest before they drifted on to their predictable conclusions.
Negative impressions: Blues In The Afternoon was v short, and unwisely calls attention to a genre they can't or won't deliver: the blues. Your Love Shines is about as banal a line as you can come up with and doesn't merit the repetition it gets in this song. (Sorry, Mindfulness.)

There may be nuances to this album that only reveal themselves over time, there may be moods in which you feel this is just the thing you want to hear, but I was unimpressed overall. I was reminded of a criticism that used to be levelled at The Eagles: that they sounded old-fashioned and unexciting, and I'd say that applies in spades to this band. They achieve pleasantness and no more, whereas I prefer artists with a bit more ambition.

4/10