Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2023, 01:50 PM   #630 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

You can all suck it; I think this is a great album.

Ride the Black Wave - The Donkeys

There's something I can only describe as a full or solid sound about the opener, "Sunny Daze" and an infectious sense of optimism that just pulls me in right away. The second track is a superb instrumental that somehow conjures up empty, windblasted beaches, while "Nothing" has a sort of Beatles feel to it. Unfortunately these guys are another band who, though they have a website, neglect to include a bio or any band information, so I can't tell you anything about them other than that they're from San Diego and twice were nominated for that state's music awards, winning on one of the occasions.

They have been compared to CSNY and the Grateful Dead, and with the sound of accordion, electric piano and booming organ in their songs, I can see why. Their vocal harmonies are gently beautiful while yet being powerful, and there's a folk sentimentality to their music which is quite rare these days. In fact, did I not know better I might have thought this was a band from the sixties. The title track is just immense. Love this. "Blues in the Afternoon" is even better, just makes you want to relax and chill. And then there's "Bahamas". Good lord, can this get any better?

Rating: 9/10 (I repeat, suck it)

Rest assured, I shall have my revenge! Oh, Beastie Boys! Woe is ye! I shall rend ye track from track... What? Haven't you heard the old proverb, revenge is a dish best served while in a sulk?