Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2023, 04:02 PM   #7597 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

I think he was a sociopath, yeah maybe pussy wasn't the right way to phrase it. He was just completely paranoid, I think he thought everyone was as ruthless as he was. I remember reading the story about how his son was captured by the nazis, Yukov I think was his name. Nazis thought they could use him as a bartering chip - and Stalin legit didn't care. He was absolutely fine with him dying in that camp. The only family member of his he showed affection for was his daughter Svetlana. After his wife died (suicide I think it was), he had essentially all of his wife's family members sent to the gulag.

I've read a lot about Stalin and he's fascinating subject matter. I believe his dad was an alcoholic and would regularly beat him - and his mom was a disciplinarian. She wanted him to become a minister - but I believe he essentially got kicked out of the ministry because of his obsession with Marxism (or was it he left of his own accord?). It would be interesting to see how history would've changed if Stalin did end up becoming a minister instead of the leader of the USSR during WW2.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote