Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2023, 12:34 PM   #13013 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'd preorder if I was fine with the devs having my money either way. The new Saints Row was just kinda fine but I don't regret preordering cause I want to support them hopefully making better games in the future.
Based on the critical reception, that game seems like a perfect example of a game you shouldn't preorder.

Even devs that I typically like will have stinkers now and then. And in defense of Saints Row (and other games that fall short of expectations), often times, it's not even the devs faults, its the publisher or whoever setting guidelines and due dates and not giving the devs the time they need (and ask for) to really flesh out and make a great experience.

The way I look at it, if you continue to make great games, you'll continue to get my money. If you put out a bad game, you won't get my money (and hopefully others follow suit in not purchasing), so the company can assess the mistakes it made and how to correct that in the future. I'm not preordering a bad game in hopes that their future games will somehow be better, I'm not a charity.

Part of this launch date messiness is also due to the fact that companies know they can update a game after launch. Games like the Callisto Protocol that were really lacking content will receive more content later on down the line. Or the recent Mario Strikers game on Switch that shipped with a completely piss-poor cast of characters that gets free updates every 3 months adding in characters that should've been there from the start.

In some ways, I miss when games were the complete final product as soon as you opened the box.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote