Music Banter - View Single Post - Is it ok or is it creepy to talk to younger people about music here?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2023, 09:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
wtf is going on in this thread. Melville and Fitzgerald are two of America's best. On what grounds do you dislike either?
Because The Great Gatsby was the Twilight of the roarin' twenties. It's like a precursor to Hemingway's debut novel, The Sun Also Rises. A tale filled with vapid and vacuous characters who you couldn't give a damn about whether they lived or died (and I like most of Hemingway's other material). In fact, in some respects, you often hoped for their death so that you didn't have to hear from them anymore and their empty and pitiful recounts of misbegotten misplacement any longer. And unfortunately, Bret Easton Ellis carried on the tradition of vapid and empty character shells with his debut novel Less than Zero which featured enough unsympathetic drug addicts and junkies to make Hubert Selby Jr.s' charcters from A Requiem for a Dream blush with envy.

Edit: Per Fitzgerald, I'm not criticizing him as a writer, just that one novel, I've never read any of his other works to be clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Well for me as I already said Moby Dick was incredibly boring. I wanted to read it but it was too much of a slog. I was totally lost. Mind you, I later saw a TV version and I was kind of glad I didn't; there's some serious ****ing cruelty to whales in that book.
Well ...yeah. It's a novel about whaling - about killing whales. For their resources. Kinda hard to get that without cruelty. Unless there's a humane way to kill whales back then. Despite being outlawed now, I mean, it is a big part of history.

Last edited by SGR; 01-24-2023 at 09:18 PM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote