Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Indie consumerist bullsh*t?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2023, 10:08 PM   #80 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ Yes, I've had the same experience: music I loved in my mid to late teens have an unassailable (© OH) place in my heart - which neatly leads into:-

Trout Mask was my favourite for years, briefly displaced by Spotlight Kid when it came out, then it was back to TMR, although for the last 30 years or so, I'd say Strictly Personal was my fave. If you want other people's opinions, album-by-album, on Beefheart's discography, this thread created by Trollheart makes an interesting read:

https://www.musicbanter.com/general-...eart-week.html

And how about you, SGR: What's your favourite Miles Davis album?

Also, in a clumsy attempt to get back on topic, is Capt. Beefheart an indie artist?
Interesting...if I were to guess, I would've pegged you as a 'Safe as Milk' fan. The woozy, circuitous electric blues of his early years. Happily surprised though! I'm fairly familiar with Beefheart's discography and I gotta say, I'm not sure what you saw in 'Spotlight Kid' (enlighten me, if you're at all inclined), I found that album to be rather dull, at least in terms of Beefheart's standards.

Favorite Miles album, damn. That's a difficult one. To be frank, I think that might change month to month, but if I had to give an answer at this very moment I'd say 'Filles De Kilimanjaro'. For the most part, my favorite period of Miles was his second great quintet - and this album represented the end of that - and hinted at new beginnings (his fusion work). Tony Williams, as young as he was at the time, was a complete savant on the drum kit - as was often the case in this time period Wayne Shorter's influence and compositions had a serious influence and drive on the group. Miles, being the ever-effective bandleader rallied the likes of Shorter, Williams, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, and Ron Carter together to make some absolutely delicious moods. I believe Gil Evans even had a hand in this one in terms of composition and arrangements, and of course, being a big fan of 'Porgy and Bess' and 'Sketches of Spain', that's a plus for me. It's just a really surreal and cerebral album that sits at a very interesting point in the evolution of Miles' sound. One of those jazz records that you could throw on while working or on a road trip or during some housecleaning. It just takes you places. One of those few records that's just as effective regardless if you're sober, drunk, or high - or a mixture. A seriously unsung and beautiful record.

Runners up: A Tribute to Jack Johnson, On the Corner, In A Silent Way, ESP, and of course, Kind of Blue.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote