Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2023, 04:25 PM   #661 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGR View Post
I definitely didn't expect this album to get glowing reviews across our little club, and even figured that I should pencil in Trollheart to give me a mulligan (given his open disdain for the Beastly Brothers), but I think the variety is useful - it seemed strange to me that we hadn't had a single hip-hop/rap album up to this point, and I guess it just reflects the tastes of those nominating, but the more the merrier in terms of variety in my eyes. I might nominate an exotica or mambo album next. Or maybe a lounge record. We'll see. I'll get my review up for Paul's Boutique sometime next week - prepare for a long one, and allow me to reminisce about it in glowing fashion.
for your bolded words, SGR. I for one will read your review with interest, your reminisces in particular.

Quote:
You mentioned not having much to relate it to Lisna, have you heard many rap records?
^ I've heard bits of rap, SGR and someone on MB kindly posted a rec or two of Rap Lite for me to see that it was more inventive musically than I thought. That experiment didn't really help, but yeah, in terms of relating Beastie Boys to something I know, I should've gone to rap first. Truth is, I don't understand the difference between rap and hip-hop, so I didn't want to expose my ignorance furthur by saying "Paul's Boutique reminds me of rap" if that is what it actually is.

I write my reviews first, then go back and read people's comments, so I'd like to make a couple of furthur remarks:-

(i) as Mindfulness says, it's a great album cover
(ii) I couldn't identify a single sample in the entire album. I even re-listened to Sound of Science listening for The End but failed in that endeavour too, so there's a whole sophisticated level to The Beastie Boys which is completely passing me by.